Search our collections
Shipping Quote List
- No products in the quote list.
- Books – India and The East India Company
- Delhi Durbars and Royal Visits to India
- Indian Military Buttons and those worn by Political Officials
- Indian Princes
- Invitations from Viceroys, Indian Princes, Governors, Generals, &c.
- Manuscripts and Ephemera
- Military antiques
- Military Photographs – non-Indian
- Miscellaneous Items of Indian Interest, including Medals and militaria
- Photographs of Indian Interest
- Pictures, Paintings, and Prints
- Royal Buttons
- Vellum bound decorative books
- Viceroys and Governors General of India
Court dress with Windsor Dress Buttons – worn by the 2nd Lord Acton
The court dress comprises a dark blue tail coat with black velvet collar and a matching waistcoat. The jacket has eight large buttons to the front, two at the waist of the back, two at the base of the tails, and three small buttons at each opening sleeve cuff: the waistcoat has four small buttons. The buttons have the backmark of Firmin. The suit was made by Cutler & Rooke of Savile Row and their name label inside the pocket is completed in ink to Lord Acton, M.V.O. and dated 1913. The jacket has silk loop provisions for fitting medals and stars of orders. Richard Maximilian Lyon-Dalberg-Acton was born in Bavaria in 1870 but finished his education in Oxford at Magdalen. He led a British diplomatic career, mainly in German speaking states. He inherited his father’s peerage in 1902 and was Lord in Waiting to Edward VII and George V and we assume this uniform was worn then.
The buttons mounted with the crown above the Garter Star are only shown in Dress and Insignia Worn at Court as being worn on Windsor dress but that dress has a red collar so we are a little confused s to the precise title for the uniform although its provenance, make and authenticity are undoubted. As well as being advanced to a knighthood of the Royal Victorian Order in 1919, Lord Acton held the Order of the Crown of Prussia [1st class} , the French Legion of Honour, the Danish Order of Danebrog and the Serbian Royal Red Cross.
1 in stock
Household Staff, evening wear£12.00 Add to basket
Windsor Court Dress Button£25.00 Add to basket
Military Kinghts of Windsor, gilt button of coatee size£25.00 Add to basket
Court Dress. Cut steel button for the velvet court dress£8.00 Add to basket